Friday, June 26, 2009

New At the Pawhaus - ReadyLeash

We are very excited to have a new product on our shelves - the ReadyLeash is a non-retractable leash that allows you to store your waste bags inside the handle!  How easy is that!
 
Another reason we like it so much is because of the Non-retracable component.  You think we have something against retractable leashes?  Well, we do.
 
Read this article from Nina:
 
I'll never forget the first time I had to pick out a leash. I had no idea what to look for. I had read all sorts of books on puppy care- and while they all mentioned a leash, none of them gave further details.

Standing in the aisle, I heard the voice of a sweet girl asking if she could help. With a sigh of relief I said yes. She gave me a smile that said it all. This was not her first rodeo.

It wasn't to long before Storm outgrew that first leash and I had to start shopping for another. This time, however, I was prepared. Ultimately Storm and I went home the happy owners of a new, red leash. Non-retractable.

My decision at the time was based on the fact that Storm would be at least 50 lbs. (being a lab-mix) when she was grown and I didn't want a retractable leash to snap with one good yank.

It turns out retractable leashes have quite the track record for causing strange and unfortunate accidents.

In March, ABC News wrote a story about one little girl who was struck in the eye when the metal clasp on her retractable leash snapped. Video Here.

And according to both the ABC article and an article in Consumer Reports the warning's that accompany some of these retractable leashes are quite frightening.

One company, Flexi USA offers these words of warning on their Web site:
"To avoid the risk of eye or face injury and cuts, burns and amputations to your body or the body of another person from the leash cord/tape or all belt and hook, read and follow these Warnings and Directions for Use before using your Flexi leash"

Now, certainly loss of sight is an extreme case, but I have heard many stories of burns caused by the retractable leash. I myself have been victim to the kamikaze bird, attack-induced leash burn.

Some people might tell me that I just don't have control of the dog during the walk.

Indeed, the Web site wiseGeek tells me "to effectively use a retractable leash, the handler must anticipate when he or she will need to restrain the dog." But it seems to me that not even Bear Grylls himself could anticipate the action of some very cheeky squirrels that reside in my neck of the woods.

I think the attraction to a non-retractable leash is "a sense of freedom." This is certainly understandable. All it takes is one time chasing your dog down the street to make you swear she will never escape again (and she probably will). However, there are much safer ways for dogs to experience "freedom".

Take them to the dog park once in a while.

Research off-leash areas near your house and let your dog run wild for a little bit.

Or exercise them enough that they don't really care about anything except getting home to pass out in their favorite spot on your kitchen floor.

The next time you're in the market for a leash take some time to consider the safety of yourself, your pet and others.

Nina

 

No comments: